Sunday, August 24, 2008

Rainy Days and Mondays Always Get Me Down



It's just Lily and I today. Shauna is at a baby shower, and the boys are over at a friends house. So, Lily and I are hanging out today watching the remnants of Fay make their way through the Pine Belt. It will be three years ago this Friday that we saw Hurricane Katrina sweep through our area, leaving a 100ft. pine tree in the middle of our house and a county without the basic necessities (electricity, water, gas) for over a week. I wouldn't say that I would like another Katrina to come knocking at our door, but a small storm now and again isn't so bad.
When I was in high school I used to love to chase storms. We followed tornadoes before it became a reality t.v. phenomenon. My hero was a man named Don Woods, who was the meteorologist for Tulsa's ABC affiliate. At the end of his forecast he always drew a cartoon character named 'Gusty' to illustrate the next days weather. By the time I reached college I had decided to pursue a degree in Meteorology, but I always got the red arrows mixed up with the blue dots. I could just see myself pointing to Northern California, talking about the high ridge pressure system pressing down through the Smoky Mountains. It just wasn't meant to be. The truth is that I enjoy saying the words "El Nino."
So, a quick update on the Stockstill clan:
Dylan - 3rd Grade. Flag Football. Enjoys math and reading.
Micah - K-5. Soccer. Enjoys recess and is reading a bit.
Lily - 16 months. Enjoys her mom and is talking... a bit.
Shauna - staying busy with aerobics, teaching, drama ministry at church, crafting, cooking (wait... scratch that last one :)
Me - will finish my Masters of Divinity in December, staying really busy at church, and thinking about the possibility of kite surfing.







5 comments:

StephC said...

Oh my gosh, how adorable. How did she get that little scratch on her nose? Cherish those daddy daughter times John!!! Thanks for all these wonderful messages as well as pictures - YOU'RE THE BEST BROTHER-IN-LAW!!!!

Ezekiel said...

Hey John, we are just figuring out this blogger think but wanted to say hi. I love looking at these pics of Lily. I can't believe how big she is getting. Anyways, hopefully we will be back to church Sunday we have really missed it. TTYL

Sally said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the close up of our precious Lily....would be really special if you got a close up of the boys like this one of her and make a wall grouping. I'd like a set, too !!
So....?...do I see FOUR !!! teeth and a scratch on her nose?????
So appreciate you keeping this wonderful family history going on-line...the next best thing to seeing you often or being closer to you. I know you're all busy, busy and I'm so grateful for all these updates...Luv luv luv
Nenaw

The Trest Family said...

this child is beautiful.....

the end.

Unknown said...

It was great to find you guys on the web. Your family is so beautiful. It is obvious God is blessing you in incredible ways. Us,too...We are now grandparents! Our daughter, Beth Ann, gave us our precious Norah 6 weeks ago. They live near us, so we are having so much fun with her. Come see us in the mountains of east Tennessee.
Ann and John McGraw